Kim-Siang Ng warned people about deadly mix of durian and Coke on his recent post on Facebook. This instantly went viral on social media. According to him, a 28-year-old Chinese tourist who travelled to Thailand suddenly died after eating lots of durian and drinking a can of coke afterwards. (Photo Credits to Kim-Siang Ng) With the tagged “cobra poison”, Ng said that the Chinese tourist experienced caffeine intoxication which was brought about by surge in blood pressure. As a result, the tourist suffered from cardiac arrest and died. Thailand issued a warning not to drink Coke within 8 hours after eating excessive amounts of durian. The reported lethal combination of Coke and durian has not been scientifically established. Thus, there is no science that will back up the claims of Ng regarding the dangers of consuming excessive amounts durian and drinking alcohol afterwards. YouTube user Durian Khanh posted a video to bust this myth: (Credits: Youtube.com) Previous study made by John Maninang and Hiroshi Gemma from the University of Tsukuba in Japan revealed that durian’s high sulfur content just impaired alcohol breakdown. In their experiment, they found that durian extract inhibited aldehyde dehydrogenase activity by up to 70%. Aldehyde dehydrogenase is an enzyme responsible for the breakdown of alcohol in our body. Still, eating lots of durian and drinking alcohol will not kill you. It may only cause indigestion, bloating, and discomfort.